Friday, February 19, 2016

Unplanned doubles

[Day 50C]

Lol yeah it's me again. Third post of the day. Apparently a lot's going on today. So I got a random text at 1 pm from my friend Hoang (who is an awesome cyclist) asking if I (and some other classmates) wanted to go for a ride at 2:30. Obviously I've already worked out today. And tried to work out yesterday. My legs, despite falling short of all of my expectations, actually felt horrible. Like "why is it that there are three steps leading up to the door of my building" horrible. So obviously I said "Yeah let's do it!". I cannot tell if I am amused by myself or not.

To my credit, the weather was beautiful today, it was the kind of day where it was hard to say no to a mid-afternoon ride. So after checking in at lab, I rushed home and got all ready to go and met up with Hoang and hit a pretty awesome trail that ran along the river. It was really windy today, especially along the riverfront. I was sort of expecting it to only be windy one way, because that would be sensible, but in reality it was just windy the whole time. Hoang taught me some stuff about drafting and let me ride behind him and get pulled most of the way. He's just so much stronger of a cyclist than I am, he was definitely trying to feel out what pace was working for me and I would fight to keep up and fight to keep up and get dropped for a bit and he would slow down and come back to me and we would do it all again. It was actually super great to ride with someone who is faster because it made me work hard while keeping things light-hearted and fun. I did fall twice, both times at a dead standstill because I didn't clip out early enough. It was okay though, I didn't get any scrapes or anything, just slightly wounded pride. xD

Today's PM Workout: Ride outdoors along the Riverfront Trail w/ Hoang
Summary: 30.44 mi, 2:02:10, 14.9 mph
Speed splits by 5 mi: 15.2, 15.6, 15.3, 14.2, 17.3, 13.1
Hit Rate: 55/59 (93.2%)

So I had been planning to ride tomorrow morning, but I guess that plan's changing now that I've gotten this ride in today. I figure I'll take the opportunity to go to the gym and lift, focusing on upper body, nothing heavy on the legs because I'm taking a long run on Sunday. I'll throw in some stability work stuff (band squats, bridges, etc.) because I never do enough of that. It'll be good. I'm glad I got to go ride outside today and explore and learn new things and have fun just trying to keep up with a friend. Here's a picture! (:


Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment