Saturday, February 20, 2016

Jess doing stability/accessory work? What?

[Day 51]

Today's Workout: Gym sesh! 90 mins (:
Summary:
  • Flat bench: WU 12 @ 45#, 3 x 8/8/7 @ 85# + 12 push ups to finish (I probably should've kept going but uh they didn't feel too hot and this was an impromptu decision so I just let it go lol)
  • Pulldowns: 4 x 12/10-2/8-4/8-4 @ 7 plates
  • Leg superset: 3 rounds, no rest
    • 15/side steps ups (no weight, just focusing on hip stability; my L is better at this than my R)
    • 15 band squats (20 on the last round)
  • Shoulder press: 3 x 8/8 @ 25#/15# (the next time you do this, go for 30# no drop, I wanna know if you can do the extra weight, take extra sets if you really feel like getting all the reps in)
  • Back superset: 3 x
    • Straight arm cable pulldowns: 12 @ 6 plates
    • Low cable rows: 12 @ 7 plates
  • Leg superset: 3 x
    • 10/side alternating single leg bridges (from the bench, again focusing on hip stability)
    • 10/side lunge & hops (you need to GET HIGHER and work on single-leg explosive movements more in general)
  • Incline bench: 3 x 8 @ 65# (okay this increase in weight came outta nowhere and felt so good it blew my mind, maybe it's just the extra rest between the upper body things and this lift but it was awesome)
  • Lateral/front raise superset: 12/12 @ 12#/side and 25# plate
  • Single leg Romanian deadlifts: 10/side @ 20# (single DB; you can probably go up to 12 with a little more weight)
  • Arms superset: 3 x
    • DB bicep curls: 8 @ 20# (well good to know I can do more weight than I've been doing...)
    • Overhead DB tricep extensions: 12 (mostly broken somewhere though) @ 25# (Okay what exactly do people do with failing reps on this exercise? Do you just get stuck at the bottom and die? #confused)
Hit Rate: 56/60 (93.3%)

I think the notes say most of what I wanted to say. I did stability/accessory work today! Because I wanted to save my legs for tomorrow. I was actually super surprised by how challenging the stability work is. I usually don't wanna do it because I would rather feel like a badass and move lots of weight around, but I'm realizing that not only is it really valuable but it's really challenging, and that makes me want to do more. Will maybe try and find a way to more regularly integrate this into my schedule. Although my schedule is so packed I have no idea how I could actually possibly do that. We'll see.

The weekly recap!
  • 1 swim, 1 swim time trial, 2 gym sessions, 1 run, 1 trainer ride, 1 outdoor ride, and 1 trainer brick for a total of ~10:45 in 8 sessions. 
  • Um this was sort of a strange week, because my plans got wonky on Thursday and then everything just sort of shifted around strangely. I've stayed pretty on track though and I'm happy with how the adjustments turned out in the end. It's been good work, nothing to complain about here.
Morning long run with friends in the morning, gonna hit my first 10 miler of 2016. Then just lots and lots of studying and more meal prep so I have loads of food to get me through the week. Happy Saturday!

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment