Monday, January 18, 2016

Oops...missed a day! D:

[Day 18]

Lol whoops, I guess I forgot about day 17 didn't I? The funny thing is, I keep this tab open on my browser with a draft for each day so that I don't forget to write a post. Amazingly enough, I did not open my computer all of yesterday, so I totally forgot that I had to do this. I guess my New Years Resolutions last just about as long as everyone else's. But one slip up is not the end of the world, we'll try not to do that again moving forward.

Updates from yesterday: We skied, it was awesome, I'm not really sure there's much more to say than that. I hit a few harder runs, got to be a little more aggressive with the skiing and the speed, it was a blast. There were some nasty ice patches, as to be expected from a mild day followed by a colder day, but it was blue skies and good visibility so honestly I'm not going to complain. Conditions were good by east coast standards. My right knee got a little sore by the end of the day and my left calf was tight basically the whole day, but other than that the body held up pretty well overall as well so I was happy about that. We got home not too late, ate out, generally had a blast, I forgot to blog, and that's about it!

We decided to go to the gym this morning because I had an afternoon flight out so we figured we'd have time. It was a bit of an early morning, but it was totally worth it. I really enjoy lifting with my other half, who humoured me today and let me call the shots about what we did. I mean there was some amount of negotiation about the details, but he definitely let me have my way for the most part. Having a spotter is so key. Also having rest intervals somewhat concretely dictated by my partner finishing his set also kept me honest. It was a long session but I had a blast and I'm glad I got a workout in on a day when I wasn't expecting to!

(Also as an aside: It's an amazing thing to have my goals supported by someone this way. I think it's really hard to try and be successful at anything all by yourself. It's definitely possible, but it's insanely hard and mad props to anyone who manages to make that happen. I for one know I wouldn't be where I am today without all the people who have supported me my entire life. And right now, it's really all Henry, who is willing to be the bad guy who kicks me out of the warmth of my bed in the morning on my lazy days and is willing to give up cozy long weekend Monday mornings in bed to go lift with me and is willing to run with me on the back half of my bricks because he knows that he's motivating. He is literally the definition of surrounding yourself with people who make you better. It's crazy to have someone lend so much of their strength and energy to help you achieve what you want to achieve. I have the best one-man support team in the world and he really does put this entire operation on his back. Okay end sappy #blessed moment.)

Today's Workout: Gym session, ~90 mins
Summary:
  • Back squats: WU 12 @ 65 lbs, 5 x 8 @ 95 lbs
  • Pulldowns: 3 x 12 @ 80 lbs
  • Flat bench: WU 12 @ 45, 3 x 8 @ 75 lbs 
  • Deadlifts: 3 x 8 @ 115 lbs
  • Seated DB shoulder press: 12 @ 20 lbs/side, 8-12 @ 25-15 lbs/side, 5-8 @ 20-15 lbs/side
  • Single-arm DB rows: 3 x 12 @ 35 lbs
  • Walking lunges: 3 x 12/side @ 40 lbs (BB)
  • Incline bench: 3 x 12 @ 55 lbs, last set split 6-6 because I never hit all the reps on this for some reason...
  • Superset: 3 x 12/12
    • Front raises w/ a 25 plate
    • Lateral raises, 10 lbs/side (did the last set single arm leaning against a wall 12 @ 7.5 lbs)
Hit Rate: 16/17 (94.1%)

Notes/thoughts:
  • Either reps are going up next week or weight is going up next week on those back squats...we shall see...
  • I definitely took a shot at 85 lbs on the bench today b/c someone was there to spot me. Yeah no, not happening, that's basically 2RM weight for me. It's amazing the difference 10 lbs makes.
  • The weight got real arbitrary on the shoulder press. Was just trying to see what I could do since it's been a while. I think the realistic goal going forward is 3 x 6/8-8 @ 25-15?
  • Henry called out my momentum shit on the rows, which I have a reasonable defending argument for, but just to prove a point I did the last set of them strict and was reasonably surprised to find that I can in fact still hit all the reps that way. 
  • I wish I was strong. But wishing that I was strong really doesn't get me anywhere, I just gotta keep doing what I'm doing and trusting in the process. I'll get better, I just need to give it time.
  • I am tired and definitely feel a bit weak, but I don't feel terrible today. I have a reasonable amount of hope that I'll feel fine tomorrow morning, fingers crossed!
The plan for tomorrow is a treadmill run (and some core stuff...?) in the morning and a trainer ride in the afternoon. The run will be of 800 repeats at not very aggressive paces, just trying to ease back into running fast and working hard and all that jazz. The trainer ride will be a grab bag of random things, just trying to build fitness and keep it interesting all at the same time. The real problem in my life right now is that I took an awesome vacation and am now behind on literally everything else going on in my life. It'll take me a while to sort that out...Trying to hold onto the schedule while making the rest of my life happen this week will probably be tough. Some things might get dropped, some plans might get changed. We'll see though, I'm gonna do my best with this. Back to real life now! (:

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment