Friday, January 15, 2016

Mind body dualism

[Day 15]

I used to think that brain tired and body tired were different things but they're really not. I was surprisingly exhausted this morning. I went to bed later than I wanted last night because I had a bunch of things to get sorted out at home before I leave for the weekend and I'm a little bit stressed out just because going away on vacation and taking a break from my perfectly controlled schedule is anxiety inducing for me. It really showed at practice I think, the focus just wasn't there, which made my swimming not great. I can't really tell if the big factor is my brain being tired from stress/less sleep than I would have liked or if my body is actually tired from the week of training (it doesn't feel like it necessarily? Also I don't feel like I did that much this week? But sometimes judgments/perceptions about this kind of thing can be deceiving). In any case, it all goes into the same bucket of tiredness at the end of the day so my point is this: stuff is going on, I needed to focus more during practice and I didn't today, I swam okay but I could've done better and would like to do better in the future.

On the upside, we had a nice full lane of some of my favourite girls today, so that was nice and fun. (I'm probably not supposed to have favourite lane mates? But these guys are particularly great and we blend well pace wise as a group and it just makes me happy to swim with them.) Also one of my teammates (a much faster one who swims in the fast lane) gave me a ride to and from practice today which was so key. I got to sleep in by like 15 minutes, it started raining on the drive home so if I had biked I would've gotten stranded or very very wet and I didn't, which I was very grateful for, it was just generally fantastic to be able to hitch a ride to practice. Here are the deets!

Today's Workout: AM CSP practice, IM day
Summary:

  • WU: 500 free swim
  • Main Set:
    • 4 x 150 @ 2:40 as 100 free/50 kick IMO 
    • 4 x 125 @ 2:10 as 75 free/50 drill IMO
    • 4 x 100 @ 1:40 as 50 free/50 swim IMO
    • 4 x 75 @ 1:20 as 25 free/50 swim IMO
    • 300 kick w/ fins
    • 200 swim w/ paddles and fins
    • 3 x 100 IM @ 1:45
    • 200 IM @ 3:30
    • 100 IM @ 1:45
    • 300 pull w/ paddles
  • WD: 100 easy
  • Total Distance: 3800 SCY

Hit Rate: 15/16 (93.7%)

Notes/thoughts:

  • I need to start compiling a list of things about my swimming I need to work on, because it's a massive list and I should probably take time to go to the pool by myself at some point (semi-regularly hopefully?) and just try and hammer down on some of these details things. The big one today was when we swam with paddles (first time I've done that in a while), I was like, wow everything about my wrist entry is terrible. And my pull trajectory isn't great power-wise either. Many things to work on and try to translate into my actual freestyle. Also my fly kick and timing is so bad. I can sort of compensate for it nowadays because my pull is stronger, but that's no way to go about swimming that stroke. Need to be better about working on these things during practice, but I also really do need a dedicated drill/technique day or something, because I know that makes a huge difference. 
Honestly that one bullet point above is all the thought I am able to generate today. Brain so tired. Gonna get the house all ready to go and then head out to school now. Boston-bound in the PM! (:

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment