Tuesday, January 12, 2016

"Carry on"

[Day 12A]

At some point during today's swim, I was thinking about "Carry On" by Fun. and how that was really the soundtrack to my morning. Last night was sort of rough for me. I just wasn't as productive as I wanted to be and I was sort of getting in my own way because I was frustrated and tired and the emotionality really killed all my chances at being meaningfully productive. Eventually I did settle down and get some stuff done, but it felt like too little too late. It was disappointing. I was disappointed with myself.

Anyways, sometimes those feelings carry over into the morning, sometimes they don't. Today was one of those days when they did. I had such good momentum this entire past week and it was sort of disappointing to wake up and really feel like I lost that. So while I was in the pool, I was thinking about this song and how there are sort of two ways that people deal with these days. To me it's either the mellow Fun. version of carrying on or the more aggressive Kansas version ("Carry On My Wayward Son") and I'm sure people go back and forth between them, but today I was the Fun. version. That's all I wanted to say. Even very early in the morning, apparently the only thing my brain can do is think in terms of songs.

Here's the workout!

Today's AM Workout: CSP practice, mid-distance free day
Summary:
  • WU: 300 free, 4 x 50 free (I got in a bit late b/c the ride took long today b/c of the wind, missed the 200 swim and 100 swim sandwiched in the middle of warm up)
  • Main Set:
    • 4 x 100 free @ 1:30 descend 1-4
    • 4 x 150 free @ 2:15 descend 1-4
    • 8 x 75 kick
      • As written was 50 choice/25 fly on back w/ fins, I don't know what the pace time was
      • I did 4 choice w/ fins and then 50 choice/25 fly on back w/o fins on third person rest because my lane is strange (I led the kick today)
    • 4 x 25 kick (no fins) FAST @ :30
    • 4 x 200 @ 3:20 (I have no idea where this pace time came from)
      • 1 - broken every 50 for less than 5 SR
      • 2 - broken at the 100 for less than 10 SR
      • 3 - broken at the 150 for less than 10 SR
      • 4 - straight through fast
    • 100 back easy
    • 4 x 75 @ 1:15
      • 1 - ALL FAST
      • 2 - last 25 fast
      • 3 - middle 25 fast
      • 4 - first 25 fast
  • WD: 200 easy
  • Total Distance: 3600 SCY
Hit Rate: 11/11 (100%)

Notes/thoughts:
  • So today's practice was an interesting adventure in our lane really not caring about assigned pace times? Or being weird and arbitrary with them? I don't really know. I just feel like we used the assigned pace time only like twice today...it was weird.
  • It was less cold today than it was over the weekend, but it was really really windy, which was sort of obnoxious. That combined with a few minutes of dawdling before I left my place this morning put me in about 5 minutes late, which I feel awful about. Late is just something that I don't do, especially for practice, so -sigh-. Gotta be better about that. 
  • I generally felt really slow and unmotivated today. I don't really know if I was ever even like...breathing hard today. I don't know. I knew it wasn't gonna be an aggressive push the pace day so I just tried to focus on technique. Still working out what the deal is with my freestyle recovery. It's changed a lot in the past few years and I'm still figuring out what the best version of it is. Also trying to work on that body position, which is not where it used to be and definitely needs some work.
  • I was happy though, towards the end I realized this and it was nice. Even when I'm not doing great, I love being in the pool. It makes me happy. It's worth it.
  • I was lucky enough to have a teammate volunteer to drive me home today. She even had a bike rack so things worked out perfectly. I might hit her up more often for rides. Biking out to practice probably wouldn't be bad with warmer weather, but it's cold right now and I definitely wouldn't say no to a car ride. I'll have to remember to get her a gift or something for helping me out. She also coaches Saturday practices and it sounds like they do some cool things at those. I might think about going on Saturdays to check it out. We'll see. She also says she's going Friday this week. I had been planning to swim on Thursday, but she can't make Thursdays so I might consider adjusting my schedule so I can swim Friday and get a ride to practice. Again, we'll see. 
  • Quick update on the body: Definitely nowhere near as sore as I was last Tuesday. Tight mostly in the upper body (around my shoulders, through my back), but my legs feel good (which means upping the volume next week?), my wrists/elbows don't feel loose and weird like they did last week (lol have I even mentioned that yet? I kept feeling like they were going to pop out of their joints whenever I picked anything up), and my back is a bit sore/tight but in no amount of actual pain so I know I didn't hurt myself. All in all good progress, means I'll try and hit it a bit harder next week and see where all of that goes. 
It's gonna be a long day. I'll be back with an evening post because I've got a trainer ride planned for the evening. I'll probably do it right before dinner, after my respiratory physiology simulation lab ends at 5 pm. Yay...or something like that...

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment