Monday, January 4, 2016

Check your ego at the door

[Day 4]

Aw yeah getting back in the gym. Feeling super weak, even by my standards (not that I was ever strong to start with). Definitely just sort of gave up on my last real lifting exercise because my arms were failing me and I can only drop weight on myself so many times while my fellow early morning gym-goers look on before I tell myself that it's probably just time to move on with my life. xD Anyways, here's the update:

Today's Workout: Gym + short treadmill run
Summary:
  • Back squats: WU 12 @ 65 lbs, 5 x 8 @ 85 lbs
  • Flat bench: WU 12 @ 45 lbs, 3 x 10/8/6 @ 75 lbs + drop set of 10 @ 55 lbs (last set)
  • Deadlifts: 3 x 8 @ 95 lbs
  • Pulldowns: alt. wide/narrow grip, 4 x 12 @ 6 plates
  • Giant set: 3 rounds, full rest between rounds
    • 12 box jumps
    • 12 single arm DB shoulder press (seated today because my legs were blown) @ 15 lbs
    • 12 single arm DB rows @ 35 lbs
  • Incline bench: 1 complete set of 10 at 55 lbs, 1 broken set of 10 because I dropped the bar twice, then I decided to just call that a day.
  • Treadmill run: easy 20 minute run (6.0-6.5 speed)
    • Treadmill stats: 2.15 mi, 21:20
    • Garmin stats: 2.03 mi, 21:08, 10:23 pace
  • Core/mobility superset: 3 rounds
    • 12/side of cable low to high core pulls @ 2 plates
    • 20 bodyweight band squats
  • Total Time: ~ 1:45
Hit Rate: 2/2 (100%)

Notes/thoughts:

  • My legs were getting wrecked by the squats. They just wanted to keep seizing between sets so I had to stretch a lot. Protecting my back during that lift actually loads my legs a lot more, which I guess is the idea, but it's sad that it makes me functionally weaker. Probably going to up reps before I try to up weight, I want to make sure that I'm lifting right and I won't throw out my back again.
  • Deadlifting today was the first time I'd done that since I injured myself way back in May or whenever it was. I went real light, not very many reps or sets, just want to get back into the swing of it and make sure I'm teaching myself how to protect my back through the lift. We'll see how my back feels the rest of the day and tomorrow, but as of right now, it's perfectly normal so hopefully things stay that way.
  • I was pretty much ready to go home by the time I was doing pulldowns. Maybe it was because my forearms were feeling really destroyed and that always makes me just grouchy, but I'm amazed I then got through the rest of the workout somehow. There were a couple roadblocks today, including how I felt during the pulldowns and dropping weight on myself during incline bench, and yet somehow I stuck it out and finished which really amazes me. It was like one of the bad long runs, I just kept telling myself to do one more set or to run for one more song and eventually I was at the end. Good job Jess. (:
  • Running after lifting sucks. As does lifting after running. Which I guess is why it's important to do both things separately and together. Separately so neither thing gets compromised, together to get better at running on tired legs and maintaining strength even when you're aerobically drained. 
  • I'm really not happy with where I'm at in terms of fitness (probably because it's day 2 of real training) but I was very happy with the effort today. I could have probably totally justified doing less and just going home early, but I didn't, and I'm glad I got through it. 
In other news, my sleep schedule is so wonky. I slept from 3 pm to 9:30 pm yesterday, ended up doing some work with emails and then tried to go back to sleep but couldn't because I was hungry, so I got up and made myself noodles and went back to sleep for a few hours at around 12:30 am. I'm really not sure how this day is going to play out but uh...wish me luck...

Food/shower/school time! (:

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment