Monday, March 21, 2016

Sometimes the best plan is no plan at all

[Day 81]

I live a fairly regimented life, but there come times like exam week when I really just have to let go of some of that structure and listen to myself and what feels right when I'm studying. I had a really productive studying day yesterday, opted out of the run because I wanted to keep that streak up. After my microbes exam this morning I decided to take a short run because the weather was glorious and somehow did a destructively awesome job of it. I'm not a fast runner, so any time that I'm running at anything mildly resembling real speed it impresses me a lot. Today I opted not to pay attention to my watch and just run and that's exactly what I did. It felt HARD. My lungs felt like they were going to explode the whole time but I wanted to see if I cold hold that effort because it felt good in my legs so I stuck with it and this was what happened.

Today's Workout: AM run
Summary: 4.14 mi, 34:10, 8:15 average pace, 179 spm
Pace splits by mile: 8:17, 8:22, 8:14, 8:07
Hit Rate: 84/92 (91.3%) - Note that I'm opting not to dock for any "missed" workouts this week. I decided that every session I get in during exam week is icing on the cake because the priority really is passing, not training. So only positive credit this week, no negatives. (Same sort of goes for how well I do with logging. If I don't log again Friday night, it's fine, the priority is school.)

I did keep my eye on the splits so I knew I was going fast starting out, but I was expecting closer to 8:40ish for that second mile and when it came out 8:22, I knew I had to just keep pushing it out until the end. Am super super amazed at how that went. Am also feeling pretty good about my ability to sit in a really uncomfortable place and keep going, because running fast is way not comfortable. It was great though, so glad I went out and did that. Dunno when the next time my body will get to move from this chair is, so I'll be back whenever I'm back...Happy Monday! (:

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment