Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Finding that swim groove

My swimming has felt pretty off since getting back into the pool but today things started coming together in the latter half of the workout and that's something I'm really grateful for. I was planning on hitting up a stroke workout tomorrow as well, but I'm really more feeling a gym and soft brick treadmill run in the morning and a long trainer session in the evening (gotta kill time waiting for Henry to get in). It's unfortunate in that it means I likely won't see the pool again until next Monday and taking only one swim this week is really less than ideal, but the way I see it is that the planning and the balance doesn't mean anything if you're not enjoying yourself. I really want to look forward to the workouts I'm doing and even though I would usually be all about a stroke workout, I'm really not feeling it. I figure lifting will at least involve some upper body work, so I won't be letting that drag behind completely and hopefully that will be enough to hold me over until next Monday when I get my next crack at the pool. I want to lift and I want to be training in a sustainable way and part of maintaining that sustainability is indulging myself sometimes when I want to mix up my schedule in a perhaps not entirely balanced way. Or at least that's how I'm justifying this decision to myself. In any case, here was this morning's swim:

Today's Workout: CSP practice, mid-distance freestyle day.
Summary:

  • WU: 400 free, 8 x 50 free build (not to a sprint, just to fast) @ 1:00
  • Main Set:
    • 3 x 200 free moderate @ 3:30
    • 4 x 50 free strong 200 pace @ :55
    • 200 free strong
    • 2 x 50 free slightly faster @ :55
    • 100 free MAX
    • 8 x 50 kick w/ fins @ :55, 15 m fast breakout fly kick, middle backstroke moderate, last 15 m MAX (written as 10 x 50, but we had to catch up to the other lanes so we skipped 2…)
    • 100 easy
    • 4 x 200 free @ 3:45
      • 1 - fast
      • 2 - 50 mod/150 fast
      • 3 - 100 mod/100 fast
      • 4 - 150 mod/50 MAX
    • 4 x 50 free easy-mod @ :55
  • WD: 4 x 50 free counting strokes (not really DPS…) @ :55
  • Total Distance: 3700 LCM (3800 LCM as written)
Hit rate: 37/40 (92.5%)

It's nice to have some down time this evening without workout obligations. I have to keep reminding myself that a single workout per day for a few days in a row is perfectly acceptable. I'm so used to doubling that it seems outrageous that I'm doing so little. My body feels nice and well-rested though, which I appreciate and know is probably good for me. It's all about the little things in life right?

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment