Sunday, August 9, 2015

Bricks: Going longer

Working on building up the post-bike run. Here's the summary!

Today's Workout: Brick, Midland-Ashby ride + 3-4 mi run
Summary:

  • Bike: 23.38 mi, 1:13:11, 15.1 mph. Note that the times are always deceiving because it doesn't count time that I'm stopped at streetlights, which is extra rest for me.
  • Bike speed splits: 14.3, 14.7, 16.7, 15.0, 14.7.
  • Transition: 1:49.4
  • Run: 3.93 mi, 37:10, 9:28 pace.
  • Run pace splits: 9:07, 9:42, 9:29, 9:33.
Hit rate: 35/37 (94.5%)

I actually felt pretty bad the first 10 miles or so of the bike this morning, but things got better probably due to a combination of downhill stretches and just generally being more warmed up. I spent a small amount of time out of the saddle on the climbs and in the flats and it's feeling much smoother, so I think the big gear work that I've been doing on the trainer is really making a difference. I met a cool dude named Pedro on the way in and he showed me a shortcut from Clayton to Wydown that avoids the nasty left turn on North Hanley, which was nice. He had said that he would have swapped info with me if I wanted to ride with him but he's going to Colorado next week for a few months because he owns a business down here so he won't be around. It was cool to meet him though, we had a nice chat and he kept my pace up. Riding with someone else is always inherently motivating.

I was very happy with my run today. I went out way too fast last week and really was dying towards the end but today I kept it reined in during the early half and held on quite strong for the remainder. I felt pretty good throughout too, which was key. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep trying to extend the runs off the bike, but I think it'd be good to take a full lap of the park (~7 miles) off the bike once in the next few weeks, before September racing for sure, just to know I can go the distance. Even now though, after today's workout, I'm fairly confident I would have had the rest of the run left in me. I'm really proud, my running has come such a long way!

Tomorrow the plan is a morning swim and some kind of afternoon workout. We'll see what the weather is like and decide from there. Yay!

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment