Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Getting it done

[Day 97B]

Today was an adventure. That was mostly full of terrible things. I was just dissatisfied with so much of what went on today. I took a nap in the afternoon that I shouldn't have. I wasn't as productive as I should've been. The weather was crappy. It was bad. And then I tried to go for this brick and took my bike out of the apartment through the back and got mud all up in my cleats which made clipping in initially really hard. But I got it eventually and I figured it would be fine. Unfortunately, the first time I hit a light, I clipped out and could not for the life of me get clipped back in. I spent an entire lap of the park trying to figure out what to do about my pedaling situation and finally decided that I had to go home to sort it out. So I ended up coming home and spending close to an hour disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling my cleats to get them to work again and then heading back out for the workout.

It seemed silly but at that point I had wasted close to two hours and I was trying to figure out what the best plan of action was. Maybe I should've just settled for a ride or went for a run instead or something but I just felt like the world was trying to stop me from making this workout happen and I didn't want to be stopped. I kept thinking about how the day had been such a huge disappointment and I couldn't imagine doing any less for this workout than what I had originally set out to do because any less than that would have felt like quitting or failing. I felt like I had something to prove. So I went out and proved it and took my workout exactly as I had planned. Sure, I lost a lot of my day to making that point and it made me really time crunched this evening and I really really struggled through everything else I had to do, but it was worth it. I haven't been proud of myself like this in a long time. Plus I learned how to fix my cleat issues! Redemption. I love redemption.

Today's Workout: PM brick, 24 mile ride (laps of Forest Park) and 6 mile run (hilly side of Forest Park)
Summary:
  • Bike: 24.17 mi, 1:30:41, 16.1 mph average
  • Bike speed splits by 5 mi: 15.2, 16.5, 15.9, 15.9, 16.6
  • Bike notes: It was windy, I went way harder and rode way more aggressively than I typically would knowing I was running off the bike, but I was angry and I wanted to attack it and see what my body could handle. I was proud of how it turned out.
  • Transition: 2:13
  • Run: 6.06 mi, 55:56, 9:14 average pace, 178 spm average
  • Run splits by mile: 9:01, 9:11, 9:23, 9:22, 9:11, 9:17
  • Run notes: So happy with the cadence! The hills are TOUGH after the bike. My legs burned so hard on every uphill but I just tried to focus on keeping my upper body relaxed and my turnover quick. It worked out pretty well I think. First two miles felt really relaxed and then it just got exponentially tougher. It felt like I was fighting for every step in those middle miles, but I knew I was hitting a good pace and I just kept pushing and luckily my body never fell apart on me. It was a solid solid run. 
Hit Rate: 96/105 (91.4%)

Hitting up rec swim over lunch tomorrow. Gonna do a distance free set because I need to do more distance workouts. Hope everyone had a good Wednesday!

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment