Friday, July 17, 2015

Some extra sleep, best I could've done

I am simultaneously disappointed with today's run and not. I ended up having a bit of a late night yesterday, wanted to Skype Henry once he back to Boston with Florida and he wasn't home til around 10:30 or 11 PM so I wasn't in bed until 11:30. Decided that I would sleep in but actually ended up waking up around 6:45 AM and deciding it might be worth it to take the run early anyways. But it was raining. So I went back to sleep. Ended up taking my run mid-morning after my doctor's appointment (immunization booster). The weather was nice, cool and overcast. I didn't quite get through the workout the way I wanted to, but I am fairly satisfied with the effort. Will give you the summary then explain.

Today's Workout: As planned was a 10 miler split as 3 miles easy (9:30-9:45 pace), 3 miles moderate (9:00-9:15 pace), 3 miles fast (sub-9:00 pace, goal = 8:45 pace), 1 mile easy cool down. In actuality, the 3 miles fast became 2 miles fast because I died once I hit 8 miles and decided to just take the cool down and a shorter route back home.
Summary: 9.02 mi, 1:24:52, 9:25 pace.
Pace splits by mile: 9:42, 9:31, 9:39, 9:13, 9:10, 9:13, 8:53, 8:59, 10:23, 9:05 (0.02 miles, doesn't really count).
Hit rate: 12/14 (85.7%)

So even though I dropped a mile of the fast bit, I am pretty happy with the pace progression overall. Exactly a week ago I ran a slightly shorter version of the same course on a day without any wind (the wind was a little rough going south towards Roselawn) and the splits today were consistently a tad faster than last week and I would definitely say I'm in more of an accumulated fatigue situation, so I'm happy with it. It was a tough effort overall and during the moderate miles I was really concerned about having nothing left to give in the faster miles, but the two miles following that were pretty solid. Of course I want more, seeing as ideally I'll be under 9 min mile pace the entirety of the race next week, but I don't think I could've asked more of myself than what I was able to give today. Not hitting the fast mile goals and not getting that third mile in are a disappointment, but it doesn't lessen the quality of the remainder of the run. I'll mark it off as a success and move on.

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment