Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Slowly slowly...

Today's workout: Recovery run.
Summary: 5.43 mi, 55:07/55:21 total time, 10:10/10:12 pace.
Pace splits by mile: 9:37, 9:53, 10:30, 10:39, 10:38, 9:32.

So today was supposed to be an easy recovery run after yesterday's session (which was pretty brutal). Normally I would've probably done 3.5-4.0 mi and called it a day, but seeing as the earliest I'll probably be working out again is Friday, I decided to put in a little bit of extra distance. It was by far one of the most uncomfortable easy runs I've ever done. There was just no kick in the stride at all, I was trying to hit that 9:45-10:00 forever pace and it just wasn't there. Turned into a real "just put one foot in front of the other" day by the end.

Already though I feel like the having to think about my workouts in order to blog about them thing is giving me a little bit of insight. Easy days are so unsatisfying. Even when they are genuinely easy. It's even worse when they're not. I understand that today my run was pretty terrible because my run yesterday was really hard and my body needs some time to recover. But even then, days like today are real morale killers. Completing a hard workout makes you feel unstoppable and gives you all this great momentum moving forwards. Completing an easy workout is not that satisfying and really not motivating when it comes to continuing to train. So I think a big thing I will have to work on in order to really stay consistent with the training is to re-organize how I interpret easy days. I have to not let them zap all my motivation from me and I have to not let poor performances on dedicated easy days make me feel as if I cannot rip out a great workout the day after. I was slow today. I will not be slow tomorrow. (Well, I'm not working out tomorrow. But if I were, I would have to make a point of reminding myself that yesterday was a more accurate reflection of my fitness levels than today and therefore I can conquer whatever the next hard workout has to throw at me.)

In any case, other than that I spent the day consuming more leftovers (fried chicken, lobster, plain egg noodles, steamed broccoli, some eggs in the morning) and packing and taking care of other errands. It's been exhausting, I'm blown out, but unfortunately I'm going to have a bit of a late night because I have to go get Henry from the airport at around 10 PM. I'll have lots of car time to rest up in these next few days though, so it should be okay. Although travel is exhausting in its own ways.

I haven't really been tracking sleep while I was here in Boston, but I'll probably start doing so again once I'm in St. Louis. I'll be sure to note any interesting trends if I find any. That's it for today!

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment