Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Slow and steady wins the race

Today I am working on being patient with myself and not forcing progress when it's not yet meant to be. I tackled the workout that I didn't see through last Wednesday and once again I didn't see it through. I got further today though and it felt like a better effort all in all, but it was still not what I wanted it to be. I think there are a combination of things at play. I think my body has the ability to crank out this workout but my brain hasn't wrapped itself around it yet. It's still daunting and scary and it feels harder than it probably is. But much the same way as how you can't force physical progress, sometimes you can't force mental progress either. It takes time for brains to adjust to the harder sessions and if I beat myself up for every day where my mental muscle wasn't where I wanted it to be, I would be a really unhappy person. (And honestly, there are times when I do get really harsh with myself about workouts like today's, but I'm trying to be a little easier on myself about it right now.) So here's the summary.

Today's Workout: AM treadmill run and short dryland finisher
Summary:
  • WU: 10-15 mins @ 6-6.5 mph
  • Main Set: 400-800-1200-800-400 pyramid @ 8.0 mph w/ 50% recovery intervals between @ 6.0 mph
  • WD: 10 mins easy @ 6-6.5 mph
  • Treadmill numbers: 6.05 mi, 53:45
  • Garmin numbers: 5.54 mi, 53:18, 9:37 pace
  • Dryland: 3.5 x
    • Bodyweight squats w/ band: 10 wide stance 10 narrow stance
    • Push ups: 10 narrow/elbows tucked, 10 wide, split as necessary
    • ~ 10-15 mins
Hit Rate: 13/15 (86.6%)

The goal had obviously been to build the pyramid up to 1600 m and come back down, but that evidently did not happen. It's a step in the right direction though and we'll come back to this one sometime in the next two weeks and try again. I'm willing to grind to get to where I want to be, I'll just keep pushing at this workout until I crack it. It'll happen. I believe. And in the meantime, I'll accept that there's still work to be done and that today just wasn't the day yet. 

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment