Thursday, September 17, 2015

Back to short course!

The CSP Master's team moved indoors after Labour Day, but I hadn't been back to practice with race taper and all and finally decided to go today and it was FANTASTIC! I really like sprint days. Which makes me feel like distance free is probably not the right thing for me swimming wise, but oh well. I've definitely lost a ton of top end speed during long course time, as a combination of the fact that I mostly went to distance or mid-distance days and long course just tends to make me more of a moderate swimmer than a sprint and try really hard swimmer. So it was good to go and work on getting some of that speed back, even though objectively speaking the sprinting was pretty bad today.

Today's Workout: AM CSP Practice
Summary:

  • WU: 500 swim (should have been 600 but I got in a tad late)
  • Main Set:
    • 8 x 50 @ :50, odds break out, evens break in
    • 8 x 25 @ :30, odds fly build, evens back fast turnover b/w flags
    • 5 x 100 as 25 mod/50 FAST/25 mod @ 1:45 (I did the first two back)
    • 100 free MAX
    • 8 x 75 kick w/ fins @ 1:10, 25 fly underwater 2/3 of way FAST/50 choice kick
    • 100 swim easy
    • 10 x 75 free @ 1:30 in sets of 3
      • 1 - ALL MAX
      • 2 - 50 MAX/25 easy
      • 3 - 25 MAX/25 easy
      • 10 = easy
    • 200 back easy
    • 100 MAX (I swam back)
  • WD: 200 easy
  • Total Distance: 3650 SCY
Hit Rate: We're gonna put this on pause for a bit. I think what mattered to me was keeping track of this in the lead up to the racing, now that I'm in the midst of racing, it doesn't matter as much. I'll write a recap post about this at some point or I'll just include it in my race recap for Cyman once that happens.

Overall I had a great day, not necessarily because the swimming was great, but because I had an awesome time. It was just one of those days where I felt really blessed to get to do everything I love: learning to become a doctor, swimming/biking/running, generally having the freedom to steer my life in the direction I want it to go, it's all pretty fantastic. And the fact that Hap's practices are fun and he's a really motivating and focused coach helps a lot too. 

I also commuted out on my bike for the first time! It's about 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back, which isn't too bad. I figure this will force me to work on my biking, even though it is a very relaxed ride. And being out on the roads more definitely can't hurt my bike fitness! All in all, good way to start the day. Skipping classes this morning because I have an awkwardly timed physio appointment - gonna get that back checked out and hopefully get some advice about how to progress with strength training and rehab/prehab so this doesn't happen again ever. Three times is enough. Yay!

Much love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment